Greetings, tech enthusiasts! Interested in the field of web development? It’s a rapidly developing field that’s been introducing us with all the different technologies. These days, the demand for people with a skill for creating apps and programs is quite high. That’s why if you’re into programming and coding, then web development is a highly viable career choice for any tech-savvy. However, just like any skill, it takes time, patience and dedication to achieve. My goal for this article is to provide you a quick guideline to get started with the world of web development. Of course, it’s not the ULTIMATE GUIDE; the purpose is to be a short summary of the entire path. I STRONGLY encourage you to do your own research to find out in-depth information and ultimately, what’s the best for you. It’s you who’s going to do all the hard work, right?
The outcome will vary for almost every single developer, so no need to be frustrated if you’re on a wrong track or not having success with your career choice. How about refreshing your basics and start fresh?
Without farther ado, let’s get started!
Tips to Become a Good Web Developer
- Passion and Patient: Passion and patience is the KEY to the pursuit of any act. It’s especially true for a career. Ask yourself – is creating websites, meddling with lines of codes fun for you? Do you find any motivation to do the job? If your answer is yes, ONLY then you should proceed. Again, once you start the thing, be slow and steady. I’ve seen a number of my friends getting all pumped up at the beginning, swearing by God that they’ll become the next Heckerman. They go really hard for a couple of weeks and ultimately, they burn out. They don’t even end up completing the basics!
- Choose Your Specialism: Once you’ve decided to become a web developer, there are a couple of things to learn. The first one is the basics that every single web developer MUST learn.
Then, you should branch out in the wider world. For figuring out the best path, do a TON of research if necessary.
- Responsiveness: It’s a major part of today’s websites. When you’re working on any website, you have to ensure that all the elements of the site fit right according to the screen size, no matter what the device is. That’s called responsiveness. Otherwise, people won’t even bother visiting the site twice.
- Learn the Basics of UI and UX: UI (user interface) and UX (user experience) are both different things. Of course, not all devs are going to be design experts. Yet, it’s important to have a solid understanding of both concepts and their usage. My favorite one for learning them is Sketch. Adobe Creative Suite is also a viable solution.
- Learn SQL and PHP (More Advanced): These two are basically the 2 sides of the same coin. SQL is a database tech whereas PHP is a server-side scripting tech. However, for integrating SQL into the web, PHP is extremely important.
- Learn the Basics of SEO: SEO is the reference term that means improving the ranking of a website in the eye of a search engine (especially Google). For business, it’s one of the most important things to concentrate. Now, you don’t have to be an SEO expert for that. However, the structure and code of the website play an important role. Bake the SEO rules into your coding style so that all your projects get the best impression out of your clients.
Now you got all the 6 steps, it’s time for you to start your journey on the path of development! Take your time and remember – even if you seem to slow down, don’t panic. Don’t overdo things. Don’t take too much pressure at once. Again, don’t go too easy with your training.